Thiruvadirai Kali is a important recipe that is offered as Neivedhyam to Lord Shiva on the day of Arudra darisanam. This year (Sharvari naama Samvathsaram) this falls on 30th December 2020.On this occasion we would like to share the recipe of Thiruvadirai Kali along with the Sambar .
1.Rice – 2.5 cups
2.Moong dhal Yellow – 1/2 cup
3.Jaggery – 2.5 cups
Roast rice in sim flame till it is light brown
After it gets cooled break it to the consistency of a Rava in a mixer
Repeat this process for Moong dhal.
Take Jaggery and break it into small pieces.Add 5 cups of water to it mix it and place it in the stove.Boil this till the Jaggery gets mixed with water.Remove this from the stove and filter so as to remove any impurities.Add grinded rice and moongdhal to this and keep it in the stove after adding cardamom powder to it and close the cooker lid and cook it like rice.
Once this is done open the cooker lid.Fry cashews in ghee and drop in the cooked kali. Now the Thiruvadirai Kali is ready for Neivedhyam.
Sambar for Kali
Soak the chenna,Greenpeas,Ground nuts,beans in water over night. Next day you can boil it first along with Veggies and keep it handy.
Boil the thoordhal like how we prepare it for other sambars.
- Sqeeze required tamarind juice by pouring water into a ball of
- Add little turmeric to this mixture and allow it to boil till
the raw smell of tamarind fades away.
- Add all the boiled items to this.In the meantime dry roast dhaniya,methi seeds,hing,red chillies,Chenna dhal.
- Add coconut pieces to this, add little water to this and grind
this in a mixer to get a thick gravy.
- Add this to the sambar that got boiled,Add salt and switch of the stove.
- Add coriander to this
- Keep oil in the stove add little oil to this.Once this gets heated add mustard to it and wait till the mustard starts popping out.
- Pour this into the sambar / Kootu and it is ready to serve